Ready In: 1 hr. 20 mins
This is the first night Richard had to work the evening shift, so I wanted to bake something to keep me busy. I am subscribed to http://www.allrecipes.com's/ 25 pies to Thanksgiving countdown in which they send you a new pie recipe each day. Today's pie recipe was the Apple Crumb Pie. I figured, what the heck, why not bake it. I tweaked the recipe, so here goes:
- 1 9 inch pie shell ( I used Pilsbury)
- 4 to 5 Granny Smith Apples Cut into chunks (I wanted to do chunks, but you can use slices)
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice (optional, I did not use it since I forgot to buy the lemon)
- 3/4 Cup white sugar
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground Cinnamon
- 1/8 Teaspoon ground Cinnamon
- 1/8 Teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 Cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 Cup packed brown sugar
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to0 375 degrees Fahrenheit
- Place apple chunks into large bowl. If using lemon, sprinkle apples with lemon juice. In a small bowl, mix together white sugar, 2 Tablespoons of flour, 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon, and nutmeg. Sprinkle this mixture over the apples making sure that the apples are evenly coated. Spoon mixture into pastry shell.
- In a small bowl mix together 1/2 cup of flour, brown sugar and 1/8 teaspoon Cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle mixture over apple filling. Cover top loosely with aluminum foil.
- Bake in oven for 25 minutes. Then remove foil and bake uncovered for 25 to 30 minutes, until top is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.